Baby care-baby food information

It is healthy and a lot cheaper to make your own baby food. With fresh foods you will get the most vitamins but frozen also has a lot of nutrients and vitamins still intact.

I made the majority of my son's food and I am so glad that I did. It saved us a lot of money and my son enjoys a variety of different foods. As my son has grown into a one year old, he eats everything that we eat. I really think it helps when they eat what you eat and if you eat with them. A lot of my friends are shocked that our son was not a Gerber baby and they are also surprised at what a good eater he is.

If you are able to do it, I would say make your own food. The baby food jars are perfectly nutritionally acceptable. They now make foods without added salt and a lot of added preservatives with the exception of the stage 3 foods. I will admit, that I always kept a jar or two handy just in case I was going out of town or needed something quick to satisfy my son (if I did not have adequate time to prepare his meal).

I would not recommend the healthy choice soups just because of the salt and added preservatives.

I know a lot of moms start solids between 4-6 months. Watch for food allergies and only give one food at a time for 5 straight days.
Another reason not to do the soups. The new guideline from the AAP is to wait until your baby is 6 months old before giving any solids. Before this age, most babies are unable to digest food and can develop more allergies than if the parent were to wait.
Recommended Site