At long last -- my wedding capelet

You've seen the bridesmaid shawls -- now here's mine!


Let's face it -- I get married in a week and a half, so it's probably going to be too warm for a shawl. But a knitting bride needs a knit shawl. Because my dress is lace, I didn't want to overdo it with a lacey shawl, so I wanted instead something with some texture and structure, something that mimicked a little coat or cape. But my search went nowhere.

So, I whipped this up myself, picking up a few skeins of an embarrassing yarn that matched my gown very well. (I've been carrying a swatch around in my purse for five months.) I then recalled, rather randomly, that I always loved the wrong side of my circular shrug. (ravelry) In that pattern, the right side is knit, purl, knit, and the wrong side is knit, slip with the yarn forward, knit. I'm not sure what it says about me that I like the wrong side better -- that's kind of like preferring the cookie to the white stuff in an Oreo. Here's a closeup:

I didn't get a good shot of the closure, but basically it's four little clear buttons. If there is interest, I can write up a little pattern.

Anyway, here I am, the realization that my wedding is so close dawning on me as I wear a loud dress from Target.


Looking back at my circular shawl, I realized that I have completely abandoned what was once a regular feature on this here blog: the dumbest thing I did all week. Anybody even remember that? Anyway, there's a lot of competition since work and wedding stress have slammed directly into each other. But I think this takes the cake. I went to my dentist on the upper East Side yesterday and decided to walk across Central Park to take the C train downtown to work. Well, you know how pedestrian paths in Central Park tend to kind of meander around? So I wander for a while and eventually see the street in front of me and actually think, "Huh, why is Fifth Avenue on the west side?" Um, yeah, I had walked in a circle and ended up back on the East Side.
Recommended Site