it's a good thing i don't like spice gum drops


We're a little like kids around here, and it's only party because Jon's brother bought us a Wii for our wedding/Jon's birthday. We also just kinda love the holidays, as hopelessly uncool as that is. A few nights ago, we picked out the perfect, only-a-little-Charlie-Brown-like Christmas tree, then I added some Burl Ives to my ipod. And then, the piece de resistance -- the gumdrop wreath.

And I think it was meant to be, since I somehow found a styrofoam wreath at the bottom of a shelf in a CVS. Seriously, finding random, seasonal craft supplies in New York City is an accomplishment. Don't you love how the wreath really showcases the peephole in our front door?



Indeed, the holidays make me hyper-crafty. Maybe it's because if I'm knitting or glue-gunning or spearing soft candy with toothpicks, that means I don't have to cook a turkey again for, like, 11 1/2 months.

See, this was the first year since 2002 that I haven't worked on Thanksgiving, therefore the first year that I didn't have an excuse for not cooking a turkey. Years past, I'd come home from work and whip up a bunch of side dishes -- mushroom stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, of course green bean casserole. But this year, I had no excuse, particularly with my mom in town to help.

I won't get into the gory details, but I don't like cleaning out the turkey cavity or slicing it up or dealing with the gross, fatty mess up the turkey leaves in its wake. I did, though, like how my mom's cranberries looked in my new collander.


So now I'm freed up to start some holiday knitting. (I know -- boo, hiss, bad idea and all that.) I just feel like there are some folks in my life who simply need a handknit. And since it seems to be the year of the cowl, I thought I'd make a few nice, big, chunky cowls. And do they go quickly! I bought the yarn for this one, started and finished it while sitting with my Spiders on Friday.


Say howdy to Marian, a ravelry pattern by Jane Richmond, made out of bulky Morehouse merino. Is it possible to be too cozy?
Recommended Site