Trapeze jacket, we hardly knew ya

There's something so sad about a finished object photo session without a human modeling the finished object. But I refuse to put the trapeze jacket on my body again. It just looked too dumpy and frumpy and lumpy and downright bad for my self esteem.

I couldn't even bring myself to weave in the ends. I did, though, have the common human decency to close it with a pretty brooch.


This one hurts. It really does. I've been working on it for months, and I truly had high hopes that it would become a favorite.

I accept most of the blame. I used Berocco Ultra Alpaca in a shade of gray that basically ensured maximum frumpiness. Should have picked something shinier or sleeker, but I wanted to start it right away. You know how that is.

I also suspected early on that the shoulders were too deep, starting too low on the arm, but I forged forward nonetheless. The jacket just ended up too big, despite the fact that I got gauge and knit the smallest size. Perhaps I knit looser as I went? Maybe I'll toss it in the dryer for the hell of it.

I hesitate to say this, but I also wonder if it's not just me. Even though a bunch of folks have started it on Ravelry, I can't find anyone yet who has finished it. As I've complained before, I never quite grasped the spacing of the increases in the body. The ribbing gradually grows from a 1x1 rib to a 1x2 rib to a 1x3 rib, but even after blocking, the increases look uneven and haphazard. I just feel like there had to be a better way. Anyway!

I'm currently captivated by these flowers:


I guess it's because I kinda can't stomach the prices of actual flowers. Maybe for centerpieces? Am I crazy? Here's a little practice bloom.

Recommended Site