One hip hippo

So what do you usually think of when someone says "newborn baby girl"?

A hippopotamus? Hey, me too!

Um, well, that's not quite how I came up with this gift for Cassie, Kaitlyn's new little one. I actually pored over crochet patterns, searching for one that had just the right deadpan expression. (I really love stuffed animals with deadpan expressions.)

For some reason, this hippo stole my heart.

This is about as delightful a crochet stuffed animal pattern as you could find. Easy to understand, nothing too fancy. Some assembly is required, but the seaming ain't too painful.

My only regret is that his pronounced snout makes him a little top heavy.

Jonathan was at first skeptical about the hippo, who was just a pile of purple pieces until Saturday. But after he was complete, even before I tied a ribbon 'round his neck, Jon was smitten.

He picked up the creature, held it to his face and said, "This hippo has looked into my soul."

The goodbye on Sunday? It was not an easy one. But we know this fella has a good home.

Recommended Site